The down soap from All About Down® is specially formulated to clean and preserve your goose down. This environmentally-friendly soap is ideal for gently washing down comforters, pillows, sleeping bags, and jackets. Hypoallergenic and odor free, it is the same soap All About Down® uses in our own cleaning service.
Do-It-Yourself Down Washing
- Use care when handling your wet down item. The down can absorb a lot of water, and the weight of wet down can pull apart stitching or baffles.
- Use a large, front-load washing machine and dryer.
- Wash with our down soap. We don't recommend using detergent. Pretreat especially soiled areas such as cuffs by scrubbing with a soft brush and a small extra amount of soap.
- Rinse your down item thoroughly. Goose down that is coated with soap residue will mat into clumps.
- Dry on low heat for several hours. The fabric can scorch if it is dried on too high of a heat. Every thirty minutes, take your item out, pat out the clumps, and rearrange it within the dryer. Put clean tennis balls in the dryer to help beat out the clumps.
- Dry the goose down completely. Although your down item may feel dry to the touch, run it a little longer in the dryer than you think necessary. Goose down can mildew from the inside out even if it is only barely damp.
- Remember, you can always send your down item to All About Down® to have it professionally washed.